e: Ethiopia!
i: Barack Obama!
We spent the day with Jon's family, and my mother in law outdoes herself every single holiday. She is an incredible cook, and always mixes old standard favourite recipes with new experiments. Everything is always delicious, and the only bad thing about it is that it feels like she doesn't get to properly enjoy the fantastic meal that she prepares because she's so busy making certain that we all have everything we need.
Anyway, At dinner this evening, each of my children said something that melted my heart. When Jon's mom was finally able to sit down at the table, Izzie turned to her and said "Thank you for sitting by me". And then, without any sort of prompting, Elijah said "Thank you for cookin'".
I love my children beyond measure. I am thankful for the privilege of being a part of their lives every single moment of every single day. They are truly remarkable, and I am so proud of the little people that they are becoming.
I also know that I have spent a lot of time focusing on what I *don't* have lately. Holidays are hard for me, and I'm not sure how to move beyond that fact. But I do want to acknowledge what we *do* have as well.
Jon's mom is a fantastic grandmother. The twins adore her (and everyone in his family!) and she always makes sure to have some special treats for them whenever we see her. I am so grateful to her for raising my husband, and for the important role that she continues to play in our lives.
No comments:
Post a Comment