Monday, December 28, 2009

gearing up for 30 days of nothing

I committed to doing this challenge nearly a month ago, and now that the beginning is quickly approaching, I'm feeling the panic setting in. Already there are obstacles and temptations and questions about what constitutes need. This is going to be tough.

Challenge #1: my friend, who I went to visit in Costa Rica in May, is coming home. There is a big Welcome Home party being organized for her, and it's being held at a restaurant where we will be expected to contribute to the cost. I don't want to miss it, but I also have no idea how to navigate that situation.

Other things I've been thinking about:
1. I don't yet have a 2010 calendar. I generally buy them in January, when they're 75% or more off. By February, I doubt there will be any left, and I can't imagine going an entire year without one (though I suppose I could make my own). So my choice is either to buy one now at full price, or risk not having (a professionally made) one at all...
2. Does train fare and/or parking meter money count as a luxury or a necessity?

6 comments:

Cindy said...

About the calendar . . . keep your eyes on the look out for free ones. I never buy a new one. They're not pretty, but they are needed. :)

Don't diss your friend because of your hang ups. :) Or make a cake instead and bring that.

Yes, transportation costs are need, unless your trip was not really nessecary.

There, got it figured out for you. Ewww, I'm going to get me some Target now!

cathy said...

friends are more important than this challenge... go to the party and contribute. a special occasion is just that--special. i think you'll still be able to get the full impact of the 30 days and still go the the party. another friend i have has her wedding anniv. in january, and she has decided that they WILL go out to eat that night, and keep on with the 30 days despite that one celebration.

and the calendar... PERFECT example of what is "need" or "want". i say make your own, and everytime you look at it in 2010, you'll be reminded of your challenge. not a bad thing!

D said...

I will mail you a free calendar I got from one of the vendors at my job in exchange for the CD.

M and M said...

i'm considering this effort too, but have tons of questions. For instance, Mark and I have a glass of wine each night together - is this the sort of thing we have to "give up?" I'm trying to figure out the pieces meaningful to me - and am mostly about figuring out the lessons I want to gain while totally getting that there will be unintended lessons as well...musing

jayme said...

I am giving up all little luxuries. For me, that means that I will be foregoing all alcohol, chocolate, snack foods, etc. Aside from what we've already got in the house.

I decided to take out a little bit of cash this month with the intent of using it at my friends welcome home celebration. Other than that, there will be no dining out (which is easily one of our biggest expenses). Brunch is going to be the hardest thing for me to give up because it is often the only thing that gets me through the really hard weeks.

If you're really interested in doing the challenge, I think you've got to figure out for yourself why it's important to you. For me, it's about consciously reconnecting to the process of spending money. As I've said, it's just way too easy for me to decide I want something and then go get it. I can almost always justify why I "need" something, but when I look at the broader picture of wants vs. needs on a global scale, my desires are pretty ridiculous.

If you decide to take part, definitely let me know! It will certainly be interesting to compare experiences.

M and M said...

J, oh yes, we are doing it. I am surprised that Mark is on board - but we talked about it and he was interested in the lesson (he suggested we do it for lent, but I pressed January as I am also planning an "immersion" experience and need to figure out those details too). I have a sense of what I want to get out of it, but I'm not sure the smallest details. For us, for instance, I'm more interested to see the mindless spending (and evening glass of wine doesn't qualify for that for me). I'm not trading my organic apples for cheaper apples, for example. And, I love my good organic coffee I make at home and my half and half. What I think this will do is promote a more conscious consumerism - I think? I'm a giver in the house, Mark is both giver and spender. On the simplest level I'm thinking "Pack lunch every day, meal plan, make sure water bottle is full" sort of thing. I must be missing some big idea...Nevertheless, I can make adjustments on the way, right?