Sunday, January 10, 2010

Weekends

In analyzing our family's spending habits, I've realized that weekends are prime time for us to spend money. It's really the only time that the four of us have as a family, and we always try to make the most of it. A typical weekend for us usually involves eating out once or twice on Friday and /or Saturday, and then our much anticipated Sunday Brunch.

For the past two weeks (since we started 30 days of nothing), we've been doing "Brunch at home" where I try to recreate some of our favourite recipes in our own kitchen. Last week I made German pancakes with fruit, and today I decided to attempt Chilaquiles. They were delicious! Next week I'm going to try 2 different strata recipes: one sweet and one savory. Then Eggs Florentine. I'm open to suggestions for the last Sunday of the month!

We already know that we're not giving up brunch long-term. It's just too important to our family. Although Brunch at home has made Sundays feel a little more special than they otherwise would, it hasn't been the same (it's far too easy for everyone to get distracted at home and not spend the time reconnecting. Plus, there's all the cooking and cleaning that I don't have to worry about when we go out).

In other news, I went "shopping" yesterday in one of my favourite neighborhoods in the city. It's positively loaded with adorable vintage stores, and there's even a galleria full of artist's booths. I went, I looked, I appreciated the metalwork on a beautiful necklace, I paused to enjoy a display of vintage cameras (which I collect), I browsed a collection of gorgeous hand-printed scarves, and I oohed and aahed over a vintage wooden bookcase painted turquoise. But I didn't buy a thing. And you know what? I didn't even feel the temptation. I also parked several blocks away from my destination so that I could avoid paying a parking meter.

One of my biggest personal challenges for this year is to learn how to appreciate the beauty in the world without feeling the need to possess it. I have this innate "need" to surround myself with aesthetically beautiful, whimsical, fun, colourful, and meaningful things. My house is an eclectic collection of African sculpture, Costa Rican Art, Thai Pottery, American crafts, ultra-modern statement pieces and antiques. Everything I own has some sentimental value, but recently I've found myself wondering when "enough is enough"? I don't "need" anything more to feel fulfilled and content. But that fact rarely stops me from wanting. From coveting. And from comparing what's within my means to what's within the means of others. I think that's the nature (and one of the worst aspects) of our "keeping up with the Joneses" culture.

It's interesting to me because I've never really been one to "follow the crowd". And yet, I've hopped right on the consumerist bandwagon with reckless abandon. And although my purchases might be off the beaten path, does that really make it any better? This experiment has given me a lot to consider.

Today we will spend our family time at a local winter festival. We will take the long way there, so as to avoid the tollway. We will bring our own homemade hot chocolate, and we will enjoy the activities planned and offered for free.

Happy Sunday to you all.

3 comments:

M and M said...

Awesome Sunday plans! Jayme, I'm liking your reflections. And, they are prompting my own; some similar, some not. This is the BEST part of sharing the month, in my opinion. I look forward to your posts!

Cindy said...

Funny, as you take it down a notch, we are upping it a notch. We are starting to go out more and more with the boys, like out to eat and stuff. Unlike you, we couldn't do things like this for like a year or so! It still gets hard and sometimes scary, but man I think we're up for it now! :) As stupid as it sounds, during this dead cold winter, one of my fave things to do lately is go to the mall and let the kids run and scream around the play area. Hey, at least we don't spend (ok, maybe a cookie!). It's Kansas. We don't have winter fests! :) Oh my, I'm so easily entertained these days! The bar gets lower and lower, haha.

Mama Papaya said...

I have had breakfast with a friend of mine every single Sunday for 10 years. As I pondered 30 days of nothing, I kept hanging up on Sundays. As silly as it seems, breakfast is part of our fabric and I just don't think I could give it up. Even just for 30 days.

Learning so much from your learning.