Wednesday, September 8, 2010

School Days

The twins officially began the 2010 school year yesterday. It's been a little bit hectic around here lately because we just learned 2 weeks ago that they actually got in to the school (the funding for the program came through at the last minute, which sent everyone scrambling), so we've had to figure out scheduling for that, their other preschool, and their activities. They'll be in school every afternoon, and they'll be going to their previous preschool 3 mornings a week. That means that on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, they'll be gone from 9am until 3:30 pm!

Last week, we met with the twins' teachers. We learned that they would be in separate classrooms, which I have mixed feelings about. I think it will be good for them to be apart for some of the day, so that they have something to share with one another when they see each other again. I also think it will be good for them academically. Izzie tends to be a "little mama" to Elijah, and he definitely looks to her to help with all things academic. I'm hoping they'll each flourish in a more individual environment.

The downside is that I now have 9 different teachers to communicate with, and I'm really not sure how we're supposed to manage birthday parties when there are now going to be 60 kids to invite!?!

Each of the kids have 3 teachers. Izzie's teachers are all very nice and I think they're a great match for her personality. Elijah's teachers are also nice, but definitely more "firm" and I think they'll be really good at being consistent with their expectations while also being supportive.

Yesterday started with breakfast as usual. I asked the kids what they wanted to eat, thinking I'd make something special for them, but they insisted upon their old standards: Yogurt, berries and granola for Izzie, and berries, eggs and toast with "sparkles" (i.e. cinnamon sugar) for Elijah.
They chose their own outfits, got dressed, and we headed out the door for Izzie's gymnastics class. After gymnastics, we had a picnic at a nearby park, and it was so windy that our food almost flew away! Then the kids played for a while to blow off some steam before school.
Finally it was time for school! As soon as we got out of the car, the twins instinctively wrapped their arms around one another and began walking in. They were a little bit nervous to be apart, but excited to meet new friends and play in their new classrooms.
We took one last picture near the "under the sea" mural in the waiting area outside the classrooms. Then their teachers came out to greet them, and they were off before I could even say a proper goodbye!
When I picked them up 2.5 hours later, their teachers told me that they both had a great first day! Izzie told me that it went "really fast", and Elijah said that he was "a good listener and very helpful." He told me that he picked up somebody's coat that fell down, and pushed in the chairs at the table. Elijah gave me lots of details about their day, but Izzie decided to be sulky because they didn't get to ride the bus to school (they'll start riding the bus next week).

After school we went out for ice cream to celebrate!

No comments: