Friday, December 18, 2009

Reflections

Seven years ago, just after Jon and I got married, we started collecting plaques from this company.

We had always hoped that one day we would be able to afford one of their mirrors. I later learned that they would customize any of their products to include things that are meaningful to us. This year, we decided to take the plunge and have our very own mirror custom made.

We ordered this several weeks ago, and today it arrived!
The mirror's overall theme is "Go out for adventure, come home for love".


On the "Go Out for Adventure" side, there's a picture of a city. Underneath that, there are 5 boxes: Seek Wisdom, Create, Take Risks, See the World, Celebrate Traditions

On the "Come Home for Love" Side is an image of a farm. The boxes underneath that are: Play Games, Relax, Accept Change, Coexist, and Laugh.


Across the bottom of the mirror are several people of different ethnicities, with the words "Respect Others". This is the foundation of our family philosophy, and this mirror will serve as an anchor of who we are and the values we find most important.

Scattered throughout the mirror are little meaningful symbols: a moose for my mom, a margarita for me, the board game "go" for Jon, an Ethiopian Tukul, The Eiffel Tower (to symbolize our last pre-children vacation). I haven't even had the chance to study it completely, but already it's the most meaningful thing I own.

2 comments:

gigglechirp said...

Oh my, LOVE it!! so beautiful!

M and M said...

OK, so this is UNCANNY. Years ago (15, at least) I first saw STICKS at our annual Art Fair on The Square. I LOVED their "halleluja lady" and have coveted owning her ever since. I don't have her, but you know what? I STILL have their catalogue, from all that time ago! And, she's still on my "I want" list. Totally LOVE the mirror. And from what I know - it's a good thing you aren't shopping at all in January cuz you're gonna need time to recover from this purchase :-0