So I think we've finally settled on our "rules" for our February challenge: 28 days of buying only whole foods. Without further ado:
We are allowed to buy:
1. All fresh fruits and vegetables. Given that it's winter here, limited quantities of frozen fruits and vegetables are permissible as long as they're the only "ingredient" (i.e. no added sugars or preservatives)
2. All herbs and spices.
3. All single ingredient foods from the bulk foods aisle. This includes but is not limited to: unsalted raw nuts, grains, seeds, beans, and freshly ground unsweetened and unsalted peanut butter.
4. Olives, olive oil, grapeseed oil, and sesame oil.
5. All vinegars.
6. Limited quantities of whole wheat pasta and bread (only if I can understand and pronounce all of the ingredients).
7. Yeast to make our own bread.
8. Wine (for cooking and for drinking)
9. Canned diced tomatoes. Only because it's winter and the "fresh" tomatoes around here are not so fresh.
10. All cruelty-free dairy products including butter, eggs and cheese.
11. Soy Milk (for the kids)
12. Tofu and Seitan. Because we're vegetarians and there's no way for us to do this without those two items. I've made my own seitan, and it's never come out very well. I will keep trying, though. I'm struggling a lot with the idea of giving up Quorn (a mycoprotein chicken alternative that we use in lots of different recipes to make them vegetarian). I may get halfway through this challenge and decide we need to add Quorn to the list, but for now it's forbidden!
Other Rules:
In addition to the list above, and in the interests of our budgetary constraints this month, I am allowed to use the products that we already have on hand. I am just not allowed to buy any more of them when we run out.
If we are invited to someone's house, or some special event, we will eat what is served.
Restaurants and the period that I will be on vacation is officially exempt (although I do try to patronize establishments that use fresh local ingredients, so this shouldn't really be much of a problem.)
Finally, if I make at least one good faith attempt to make a product from scratch that I would typically buy (i.e. vegetable bouillon, tortillas, etc.) then I am allowed to purchase the pre-made product on subsequent shopping trips as long as the ingredients all fall into approved categories.
I've already started menu planning for the month, and am hoping to try out a bunch of new recipes. I'm thinking about making our monthly meal plan a future blog post, but I'm not sure if anyone would be interested... I'm also slightly nervous about how far our grocery budget will get us this month, but perhaps I'll be surprised.
5 comments:
I was just thinking this morning on the way into work that I needed to post a reflection on our first month. I promise to over the weekend.
It has been an interesting 28 days thus far. We will absolutely be different on the other side of this.
Here’s to whole.
To me, this would be a harder challenge than not spending money because I'd have to be really intentional. Can't wait to read your journey for February! And do share any great vegie recipes you make...we are moving more and more towards that lifestyle simply for cost sake alone.
PS Do you have any good iron supplements? I need iron because of all the running I do and I can't find any that taste decent.
wow, wow, and triple wow!
You know I work for a company that manufactures cans, right?!!! Thank goodness canned diced tomatoes are still on your list.
Too bad I can't give you some of the cases of FREEEEEEEEE yummy vegetarian minestrone I got from our customers. (Which makes a delightful supper when dumped over baked potatoes.)
Hey J,
I've been missing your blog because since you protected it, it doesn't pop up on my reader. Decided to come over and check it out and I've missed LOTS! Yay for you for your month of whole foods. Have you considered doing a "cleanse" along with this modified eating style? Mark and I are starting a 2 week Whole Foods cleanse tomorrow.
Post a Comment