Thursday, January 7, 2010

Seven days down

We've made it through our first week of buying nothing but groceries, and honestly I thought it would be harder. I expected to feel claustrophobic and maybe a little resentful of the limitations that this challenge has placed upon our family. To prepare for our 30 days of nothing, I started making a list of all the free activities we could do around the city in case we got bored (There are *tons* of them, by the way). In reality, we have been perfectly content staying home and getting creative about how we can use the things we already own to have fun.

I'm feeling good about this. I'm finding that I'm more relaxed, peaceful, and happy without the added stress of getting everyone out the door and then keeping track of them when we get wherever we're going. The weather (at least today) is also helping. It's snowing outside, so I'm thinking our plans for the day involve some playing in the snow, shoveling, hot chocolate, bubble baths, making a blanket fort, and watching movies.

Planning and cooking all of our meals has also been a fun challenge. I can foresee a time when I'll feel burnt out because the meticulous planning takes a *long* time, but suddenly I'm feeling like I have that time to spend. Or maybe I'm just spending my time more wisely. I could also use suggestions for lunches (especially ones that are easily packed up for travel!)

Although we haven't really been anywhere that would really tempt me into spending money, I definitely don't miss buying random stuff. At all. My want list now has 4 items on it: a dustpan, a kitchen timer, a pizza stone (for making homemade pizzas and breads), and a mailbox. (We currently have a mail slot which the mailman will not put mail into because our dog attacks it. As a result, our mail is left between the storm door and front door and gets destroyed any time it rains/snows.)

After this challenge is over, I'm going to attempt to procure each of these items through freecycle. I'm not looking for them now because I've specifically chosen to interpret "nothing" as NOTHING, and I feel like going out in search of things (even free things) compromises part of what I wanted to gain out of doing this challenge in the first place.

The kids really haven't noticed or been affected much at all. They've asked to eat "at a restaurant" several times, but have been totally fine when I explained that we're not doing that this month. They also really really wanted their gloves to be attached to their coats. Since I'm not buying those little clippy things, I just braided some yarn and strung it through the sleeves. Problem solved!

Oh, and the homemade deodorant totally works!

How's everyone else doing?

3 comments:

cathy said...

do you know what's kind of freaky? your response so far is very much the same as my response... and the response of others. the fact that 30 Days of Nothing is actually easier than it sounds... that we begin to feel more at peace with our surroundings... that not buying things is actually liberating... and learning that we really can go without a lot more than we initially realized. i'm sure that withdrawing from our super-consumerism society would have the same effect on most people. interesting. i'm glad you're cooking more and feeling empowered by the meal-planning. it is the most invaluable tool to not spending extra cash.

Tiny's Mom said...

We are doing ok over here-definitely easier than I anticipated. I have already become used to making coffee to bring to work that I suspect I will mostly stop buying it from now on-except for treats :) We went to a museum the other day on a free day, and although I did pay for gas, I drove around and procured a sweet parking spot on the street instead of paying for convenience ;)
Saturday is grocery day....we'll see how that goes...

M and M said...

Fell off the horse! Stuff isn't my challenge - today it was POOR planning and food. No surprise. I SHOULD have planned for the week more thoughtfully and anticipated today's low point (after work, long week with Mark gone most 4 out of last 5 evenings). Lesson learned - so I'll plan this week and make a MUCH better visual for next week's 'points' where I can anticipated fatigue and tension.